Mr Jesse Kenton-Smith
Jesse is a qualified Specialist Plastic Surgeon and has been a Fellow of the Royal College of Australasian Surgeons (FRACS) since 2001. Jesse has had a private practice in Merivale, Christchurch since 2003 and regularly visits Queenstown Medical Centre. Jesse also worked at Christchurch Public Hospital as a Specialist Plastic Surgeon and a Senior Clinical Lecturer for The University of Otago from 2003 until December 2016. Jesse now focuses entirely on his private practice and also serves on The Board of The Royal College of Australasian Surgeons in New Zealand. Jesse has a special interest in repairing the lips, palates and noses of babies born with cleft lips and palates. One of Jesse's passions is to take part in regular surgical charity missions in the developing world as a Specialist Cleft Lip and Palate Surgeon. Jesse immensely enjoys the plastic surgical results he achieves for his patients and continues to enjoy the refinement and development of his skills after many years at the public hospital, on surgical charity missions and being in private practice.
Jesse completed his medical training at University College Hospital, London where he later won a scholarship to also complete an honours degree in Immunology. Jesse became a qualified medical doctor in 1990 and then embarked on his surgical training to become a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (FRCS) in 1994. At this point Jesse earned the right to change his name from Dr. Kenton-Smith to Mr. Kenton-Smith to recognise his fellowship status.
Later in 1994, Jesse and his wife set sail on their, 36 foot yacht, 'Sentinel' from Milford Haven in Wales and sailed to New Zealand. After his arrival in New Zealand in 1995, Jesse was accepted onto The National Plastic Surgery Training Programme and became a qualified Plastic Surgeon in 2001.
Jesse then won a Plastic Surgical Fellowship at The Radcliffe Royal Infirmary in Oxford, England. During his fellowship time, Jesse received extensive training in both plastic and cosmetic surgery by well known and respected plastic surgeons at; The Radcliffe Royal Infirmary (Oxford), The Humana Wellington Private Hospital (St John's Wood, London) and Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital (Central London).
Jesse returned to New Zealand in 2003 to take up a permanent Specialist Plastic Surgical position at Christchurch Public Hospital. Upon his return Jesse also set up his private practice. Jesse has been in private practice since July 2003 and also held a position as a Specialist Plastic Surgeon and Senior Lecturer in Plastic Surgery for the University of Otago at Christchurch Public Hospital from 2003 until December 2016. In 2014 Jesse was voted onto The Board of The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
Along with his work in New Zealand, Jesse regularly takes part in surgical aid in developing countries where he carries out cleft lip and palate surgery on disadvantaged youngsters. This surgical aid is in support of various charities including Interplast, a charitable organisation for plastic and reconstructive surgery and Operation Smile, a charitable organisation which focuses solely on the surgical repair of cleft lip and palates.
In his spare time Jesse is busy sailing, skiing, wakeboarding, mountain biking, road biking, driving his sports car at medical race days, playing the guitar, farming his lifestyle block, gardening and being a father to his three children. Jesse also has a passion for art; he attends regular art lectures, enjoys sculpting the human form in clay and is a very keen art exhibition visitor.
Information About Dr Jesse Kenton-Smith
- a Fellow of the Royal College of Australasian Surgeons and qualified as a Specialist Plastic Surgeon in 2001.
- also a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England and has been a qualified surgeon since 1994.
- a Specialist Plastic, Reconstructive, Hand and Cosmetic Surgeon.
- a member of The New Zealand Foundation of Cosmetic Surgery, New Zealand Association of Plastic Surgery, The Australasian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, The American Society of Plastic Surgeons and The International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
- a long time Specialist Plastic Surgeon at Christchurch Public Hospital (2003-2016) and has also had a Private Practice in Merivale, Christchurch since 2003.
- passionate about being a Cleft Lip and Palate Surgeon. Jesse enjoys cleft surgery as it so uniquely combines reconstructive surgery with aesthetics.
- a regular participant in overseas surgical aid. In recent years he has been to the Philippines, Tonga and Vietnam to repair cleft lip and palate defects in children.
- a member of the board of The Royal College of Australasian Surgeons in New Zealand
- completed his medical and general surgical training in London.
- sailed his 36 foot yacht "Sentinel" twin handed from the United Kingdom to New Zealand.
- trained in Plastic Surgery in New Zealand as part of the National Training Scheme.
- later returned to England to gain advanced Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery experience in Oxford and London.
- has been in private practice in Christchurch since June 2003.
- grew up as the son of Harpers and Queen Health and Beauty Editor and authoress, Leslie Kenton. This gave him a unique exposure and understanding of female beauty and aesthetics. This expanded into his love of art and the pursuit of art in surgery.
- Jesse co-authored a book, 'Skin Revolution' (published by Harper Collins) with Leslie Kenton in 2004.
- practices in a warm, friendly and personable way. Most patients call him by his first name.
- believes in combining tried and true methods with the latest advances to achieve safe, natural and reliable results
View the video to "meet" Jesse.